Square’s Cash App has enjoyed rapid growth over the last few years and is now a well-recognized tool for quick transactions among Millennials. However, one of the big questions people have about the service and our main focus in the text is; how to cancel a Cash App payment?
Here are the steps to cancel a Cash App payment:
- Launch Cash App and tap on the “activity” tab
- Locate the payment you are trying to cancel
- Tap on the “…” on the top right corner
- Select “Cancel a payment” and “Ok” to cancel the transaction.
The challenge that is posed by Cash App when you want to cancel a payment is that their transactions are instant. You might not get the chance to cancel a payment unless the option is available in their app. This also includes “pending: transactions. Sometimes the next best option is requesting a refund.
Canceling a Cash App Payment
It is quite easy to make a mistake when making a payment such as, sending it to the wrong person or even keying in the wrong amount.
Being able to cancel a payment after such a mistake could save many people awkward conversations with the recipient.
Cash App is among the best tools out there for making quick payments and one of its best features is how fast you can transact. However, that also presents a challenge in the case where someone makes a mistake during a payment.
According to their site, Cash App to Cash App payments can’t usually be canceled, but you can confirm it from the activity feed.
If the option is available, here are the steps you should take.
- Unlock your mobile device and launch the Cash App
- From the home screen, find the activity tab and click on it to bring up all your transactions
- Locate the transaction you want to cancel and click on the payment menu. A menu with payment details should pop up.
- Locate the “…” button on the top right of your screen and tap it.
- There should be a few options and if the “Cancel a Payment” option is available, click on it to complete the process.
Sometimes the option to cancel a payment is not available and in such a situation you will have to submit a refund request.
Cash App monitors a person’s account for suspicious activity to protect its clients. If they detect a potentially fraudulent payment, it becomes canceled to protect a client from being charged.
In such a case, your funds become instantly returned to your Account.
If not you can expect them within 1-3 days if you’ve linked your bank account. If the funds are not returned by that time, you should raise the issue through the Cash App dashboard.
To reduce the risk of having canceled Payments;
- You should only link credit or debit cards that are in your name
- Load your Cash App Card at reputed stores
- Only send or receive payments from people you know or businesses that are reputable
- Confirm the recipient’s $Cashtag and their phone number before making a payment
- Use your Cash App frequently to create a healthy history of transactions.
Here are some articles about how to send and receive money on Cash App:
How To Get Free Money On Cash App
How To Cancel A Cash App Payment
Can You Transfer Money From Venmo To Cash App
Can I Send Money From Zelle To Cash App
How To Transfer Money From Varo To Cash App
How to Submit a Refund Request with Cash App
It is easy to make mistakes when sending money and since Cash App is instant, there might not be time for you to cancel a payment. The only next solution is requesting a refund. As a sender, you can request a refund from the person or merchant you sent the payment to.
When you initiate a refund request, they will receive a notification informing them of your intention and it’s up to them to accept or ignore it. Cash App does not guarantee that you will get your money back and they are not responsible for any payment you make. It is why they urge clients to be careful when sending payments.
However, if you wish to initiate a refund, here are the steps to follow.
- Launch Cash App and get to the app’s home screen.
- Tap the “activity” or the button that looks like a little clock which is located at the bottom of the screen
- Identify the payment that you want to request a refund for and click on it
- At the top of your screen, there will be a “…” button, tap it
- Select refund on the next screen and confirm your choice.
That should send the recipient a request to revert the funds. Whether it is a person or a merchant, it can take up to 10 days to receive your refund. If you have a way of contacting the recipient, do it early and explain your predicament. If they grant your request, Cash App will receive the funds and reroute them back to the account. From there you should see it in your account balance.
Note that you will most likely receive the money through the method you used to send. For example, if you want a refund for a transaction you made using a linked debit or credit card, the money will be sent back to the card if your refund is granted. For debit or credit cards, it might take 5 days after the refund for the money to reflect.
Just because a recipient can reject or ignore a refund request does not mean that you are helpless in getting your money back. In such a scenario, contact Cash App through their customer support dashboard in the app and explain your situation. They can help you dispute the transaction and it might even involve communication and an investigation.
Even so, they still can’t guarantee that you will get your money back which is why you should always confirm all the details before sending money. Double-check the $Cashtag, the phone number, and the amount before making any transaction.
Cash App is a great tool for making quick payments and its encrypted transactions make it relatively safe for transactions. However, due to its current popularity, there is a lot of potential for scams. So, users need to beware and enable the app security features.
Finally, remember you can’t substitute Cash App for your bank account since your balance will not be federally insured.