Aside from their stylistic differences and different user interface, Cash App and Venmo are essentially the same. Both services allow you to quickly send money to other users on the app for free and can be funded by your bank accounts, debit cards, or credit cards. Many people use both apps for convenience, depending on who they’re sending money to.
But, can Cash App send money straight to Venmo? Cash App can’t send money to Venmo. To send money from Cash App to Venmo, you’ll first have to move the funds from your Cash App balance to your bank account and then send the money from your bank to your Venmo account.
I know it’s annoying (and, in my opinion- unnecessary), but I don’t make the rules. However, I can show you exactly how to transfer money from Cash App to Venmo by using your bank account. I’ll show you step-by-step so you know exactly what to do should the need ever arise!
Sending Money From Cash App To Venmo
Cash App and Venmo are arguably the two biggest competitors in the instant money transfer business (although Zelle is trying to catch up). Out of the two, Venmo has been around for the longest and was founded in 2009. Cash App, launched by Square Payments, wasn’t released until 2013.
At the time, Venmo dominated the market. However, Cash App initiated a clever marketing tactic that got many of Venmo’s users to switch over or at least start using both apps. Cash App would gift each user $10 for inviting a friend to join the app. Within a few years, their user base grew exponentially!
While some would argue that competition is good for the economy, the companies themselves would beg to differ. To this day, no money transfer app supports sending money from one service to the other. Trust me, I just had to answer ‘Can Cash App Send Money To PayPal’ here.
Instead, users must first transfer the funds from one to their bank account and then transfer the funds back into the second money transfer app. It’s a bit ridiculous, but it’s all we have to work with for now until the companies decide to start working with each other one day.
Now, without further ado, it’s time for me to show you how to perform this transfer. It’s a bit complicated the first time you do it, but it gets a lot easier after that.
Here are the steps to transfer money from Cash App to Venmo:
Transfer Your Cash App Balance To Your Bank Account
As I mentioned, our first step is to transfer the money from our Cash App balance (displayed under the ‘Banking’ tab) into our bank account. If you’re like many Cash App users who still don’t have their bank account linked, then you’ll need to go ahead and get it linked up if you want the transfer to go smoothly.
Note- You can also complete this process using a debit card number if you’re uncomfortable storing your bank account information in Cash App. Follow the same steps listed below, but instead of ‘Add Bank Account,’ select ‘Add New Debit Card.’
I find that linking my bank account is easier because I never have to go back in and re-enter my card information when I update my card (which is far too often). To each their own, though.
Link Your Bank Account With Cash App
- Pick up your phone and open the Cash App application.
- Look at the icons on the bottom of the screen and find the one that looks like a small house. This will open the ‘Banking’ tab.
- Navigate to the bottom of the page and select ‘Linked Accounts.’ This will display all of your cards and accounts linked to your Cash App account.
- Select ‘Add New Bank Account.’
- Or select ‘Add New Debit Card’ if you prefer that instead.
- You’ll have to log in to your bank with your online credentials and verify your identity with two-factor authentication (via text or phone call).
- After a couple of minutes, your bank should be verified and ready to go!
Transfer The Desired Funds To Your Bank
Now that you’ve connected your debit card or bank account go back under the ‘Banking’ tab and press ‘Cash Out.’ You can use the little scroll bar at the bottom of the screen or type in the exact amount that you want to transfer.
You’ll be able to choose between an instant transfer (which costs 1.5% of the total transfer) and delivers your funds in 5 minutes or a free standard transfer (which takes 2-3 days). The choice is yours.
How To Use Your Cash App Card To Send Money
As an aside, you can skip the whole Cash App bank verification process by just using your Cash App Card at an ATM and withdrawing the amount you want to move into Venmo. You can use your Cash Card to “cash-out” at any ATM in the U.S. for a small $2 fee. Conversely, you can also add money to your Cash App card free of charge at any ATM.
Of course, you’ll still have to take this cash, deposit it into your actual bank, and then connect it to Venmo. I’m just trying to give you a couple of different options.
How To Send The Money To Venmo
The process for transferring the money from your bank account back into your Venmo account is pretty much the same; you’ll just have to follow different prompts in the Venmo app.
Link Your Bank Account To Venmo
- Open your Venmo app on your phone.
- Click the three-bar symbol located in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen to bring up your account details and options.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select ‘Settings.’
- The third option down should say ‘Payment Methods.’ Select This.
- Look at the bottom of the screen and press ‘Add Bank Or Card.’
- Like Cash App, Venmo uses Plaid (a third-party bank verification service) to link your bank account to your Venmo account with your login details.
Transfer Money From Your Bank To Venmo
- To add the cash balance to your Venmo, select the ‘Three-Bar’ icon again.
- Press ‘Manage Balance’ at the top of the page where your balance is listed.
- Transfer the same amount that you deposited earlier into your Venmo account.
As of writing this, Venmo doesn’t have the option to transfer money from your bank into your account instantly.
You’ll still have to wait for around three business days to get your funds. There are also transfer limits on Venmo.
If you need cash quicker, you can sign up for the Venmo Debit Card, which can be instantly loaded and used just like the Cash App Cash Card.
You can read more about sending and receiving money on Cash App here:
How To Get Free Money On Cash App
How To Cancel A Cash App Payment
Can You Transfer Money From Venmo To Cash App
Can I Send Money From Zelle To Cash App
How To Transfer Money From Varo To Cash App